Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was originally established as a part of M S Ramaiah College of Pharmacy. The postgraduate program in Pharmaceutical Chemistry started in the year 2008. The department was integrated into Faculty of Pharmacy in 2014.
The department provides outcome-based education and training skills on various aspects of drug design using bioinformatics and computational tools, synthesis by conventional and green chemistry approaches, spectral characterization, and pharmacological evaluation of small molecules. Moreover, students get practical training in handling various analytical instruments including UV-Visible spectrophotometer, FT-IR, Flame photometer, HPLC, HPTLC, and Mass spectrometric systems. Students are being trained in maintaining good laboratory and manufacturing practices, documentation of records according to the industrial requirements. Special emphasis is on quality control and quality assurance at every stage of drug manufacturing process for maintaining high ethical standards.
The department has highly experienced staff with a wide range of research expertise in Drug design and synthesis, Computational chemistry, Peptide synthesis, Analytical & Bioanalytical method development, Pharmacokinetic & metabolic studies. Course delivery and teaching style stimulate students to think, understand and apply the theoretical concepts to find an ideal solution for real-time problems related to healthcare.
Regular guest lectures and workshops by eminent industrialists from renowned Pharmaceutical companies and Research scientists from premier institutes help students to keep abreast of the latest trends and developments. The department encourages collaborative projects with Research Institutes and Pharmaceutical industries for post-graduate students to gain knowledge and efficient training under the direct supervision of highly experienced scientific experts.
Students are encouraged to patent their ideas, publish in various peer-reviewed national and international journals, and participate in conferences and seminars to present their project work. We encourage students to work as individuals and teams to develop leadership qualities and adhere to timelines. Students are motivated to organize scientific events, which provides an opportunity to network with peers, improve communication skills and enhance managerial skills to graduate as competent professionals.
Department is actively involved in research and development. Major areas include the following:
- Design of novel molecules by structure and ligand-based approaches
- Chemical synthesis of hit molecules
- Peptide synthesis
- Green chemistry
- Biological evaluation and interpretation of Structural Activity Relationships
- Analytical Method development and validation
- Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics of small molecules and bioactive natural compounds
- Herb-Drug Interaction studies
- Efficient teaching and learning processes
- State of the art facilities
- National and International collaborations
- Patents filed — 06, as of Feb 2021
- Publications in various peer-reviewed and Scopus indexed journals — >100
- National and International level Conference Presentations – >100
- Workshops and seminars on current trends in drug discovery and development
- Guest lectures by eminent Scientists and Entrepreneurs
- Consistent Campus Placement in leading pharmaceutical and allied industries